French bean and herb salad
- 250g French beans
- 50g fresh parsley, chives, mint, tarragon and lovage
- 1 medium banana (long) shallot or ½ small onion, halved lengthways and very finely sliced
- 1 clove of very good hard garlic, extremely finely chopped, then smushed with the side of a knife
- 2 good teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- flaked sea salt
- ground black pepper
- Cook the beans in boiling water until cooked (5 minutes is good), then drain. Cool under or in very cold water to refresh them, drain once more, then dry them. Put them into a salad bowl and toss with a little salt.
- Pick the herb leaves from their stalks and simply cut the chives in half – they look better like this rather than being pointlessly chopped into mosquitos’ bracelets. Add them to the bowl with the shallot or onion.
- Combine the garlic, mustard, vinegar and sugar in a small bowl and gradually whisk in the oil until creamy. Season carefully and drizzle all over the salad.
- Mix delicately and briefly and eat at once, as the salad will look bedraggled if prepared too far in advance.